Friday, May 29, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday - Vol. 9.

1. Well, the biggest news of the week is explained in the post below - the surprise nominations for the Catholic New Media Awards! I'm still getting over the surprise!

2. Another big thing that happened this week was my fourteen-year-old sister Maria's graduation from eighth grade at Queen of the Holy Rosary Academy, last night. She and her classmate looked awesome in their blue gowns and Maria's valedictory speech was beautiful and well-delivered. I felt outrageously proud of my little sister. :)

3. The third big thing this week was that I got all four wisdom teeth pulled Wednesday! I was expecting to be in utter misery, judging by my older sister's reaction (she was out of it for nearly a week); but lo and behold, after the bleeding stopped at some point early Thursday morning, and I slept till about noon, I was perfectly fine! I still can't eat real food, which is annoying; but oatmeal and yogurt are not that bad. My little song of the moment: (let's see who guesses before hitting the link...)

4. The room in which I'm writing looks so weird to me now! Imagine, if you can, a large family room with a bay window and a little fireplace, with every wall lined floor to ceiling with books and CD's; and now imagine all those books just - gone, not even bookshelves left. The library seems to no longer merit the name; I guess I'll be calling it the "ex-library" from now till we move!

5. I am working on a wonderful awesome piece by Beethoven. (That could be any of them, huh?) This one is the "Rondo a Capriccio, Op. 129", better known to the world as "Rage over a Lost Penny." This spectacular rendition is by that wonderful young Russian, Evgeny Kissin.


6. Besides the Beethoven, my Mozart concerto continues to blossom. I'm working on the second and third movements, under the sharp eye of Mr. Schene. It's amazing what a difference one lesson with him can make to a piece.

7. Partly because I need to upload it for something else, and partly because it's just cool, here is my sister Lucia's beautiful icon of St. Lucy.

8 comments:

Thought and Action said...

Excellent news. Enjoy the yoghurt as we spell it here in Ireland.

I moved home before Christmas.Am still putting books on the shelves.

In the future though I plan to build a house in a pretty rural location.Have a thing about getting back on the land. I'm living in a rural part of the county but still probably want to be more on the land. Will keep it in the prayers.

Good luck in those awards.

Agnes Regina said...

Well, if you vote for me, it'll certainly help with the awards (wink wink - kidding - vote for the one you really think is best!)

The yogurt, laus Deo, only lasted a couple of days and then I graduated back to real food, yay! :D

Oh, so you're post-move, and we're pre-move! :) I will pray your little plan to move out into the country works out too!

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's great to learn you have a brilliant younger sister too! I wish I could give a valedictory speech...

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's great to learn you have a brilliant younger sister too! I wish I could give a valedictory speech...

Agnes Regina said...

Well, my Crusader friend, the only way to give a valedictory speech is to outdo all your classmates -- get cracking! :) Actually, Maria's not the only one; Rocio was her class' valedictorian two years ago, and my brother Ignacio was beaten by a fraction of a percent in elementary and valedictoried (is that a word?) his class in high school. (Unfortunately I have not given a valedictory speech yet, but perhaps in college, if I keep my grades up...!)

Anonymous said...

I shall attempt it, verily; I'm already 29th in my class, so now I've just gotta beat out 28 more of my compadres to match up to either of your siblings. Genius is in the blood, I guess.

Agnes Regina said...

29th in how big of a class? Have at it, and I hope to read at least the notes in a year or two - you're going to be a junior, correct?

Agnes Regina said...

(I meant the notes of your valedictory speech of course!) :)